Wednesday 14 March 2012

Being a good head of faculty

I start as a head of faculty on May 1st. I am excited and terrified in equal measures. I know that I have the knowledge required of me to be a head of science and also the support network in #asechat and my partner. However I want to do a really good job.

We have just had a new head of faculty this year and he has split the faculty and lowered morale. The two previous new heads of faculty that I have known have also struggled to hit the ground running. Hiding in the classrooms instead of leading from the front.

So what does it take to have a good start? I am massively lucky because I am going to have a light time table for the first term. I hope this will support me in finding out the strengths and weaknesses of the team and establishing myself as the leader of the team.

What makes the perfect head of science? Alessio recently asked this on the TES forum. The thread is here: http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/557936.aspx and my specific response is:
"Communication is really important [to be a good head of science]. Someone who talks to their staff and is aware of how they tick. A team is a group of individuals who use their strengths and interests to work together, a leader must facilitate this.
The head of faculty must be friendly and approachable, but not one of the lads/girls and certainly not have obvious favourites. Opportunities, responibsilities, top groups, praise etc need to be shared fairly.
Strong knowledge about curriculum matters and current thinking regarding pedagogy. The head of faculty doesn't need to be the best in the faculty if they have good people skills and a strong knowledge.
Most of all though a head of faculty needs to have a vision and direction for the faculty. That vision needs to be the best for the students whilst also taking consideration the work life balance of the staff."

I suppose this leads me to the question "what is my vision for science education?" which I might not be able to answer until I know more about my specific group of students and their aspirations.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment