Thursday 2 August 2012

Page 25 Geoff Petty Evidence Based Teaching

Geoff Petty states in his book "evidence based teaching" that subjects have their own "epistemology or theory of knowledge and enquiry".

I haven't really thought of this before. I have often been told if you are a teacher you can teach any subject. But really I know this isn't the case. My experience hasn't just given me a bigger subject knowledge and range of activities to lean on, but also an idea of the skills and big ideas students need to grasp in order to be able to progress in my subject. These are at the heart of my teaching, but I don't feel like it is explicit to me or the students I have taught in the past couple of years. This can be attributed to a "weird" key stage 3 curriculum I taught at my previous school and the odd structure to the 2006 and 2011 GCSE specifications in my opinion.

The book gives an example of a history teacher who used displays to explicitly show students the development of a skill and this display was improved/adapted as the skills of the class developed. I am pondering if this is something I can use to help improve my teaching.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment